By John Bodel, Saul M. Olyan
The 1st ebook to discover the spiritual dimensions of the kin and the family in old Mediterranean and West Asian antiquity.
- Advances our figuring out of loved ones and familial faith, in preference to state-sponsored or civic temple cults
- Reconstructs family and kin non secular practices in Egypt, Greece, Rome, Israel, Mesopotamia, Ugarit, Emar, and Philistia
- Explores many loved ones rituals, similar to delivering for ancestral spirits, and petitioning of a household's client deities or of spirits linked to the home itself
- Examines lifecycle rituals – from being pregnant and delivery to adulthood, previous age, loss of life, and beyond
- Looks at non secular practices in terms of the family either in the domestic itself and different areas, comparable to at extramural tombs and native sanctuaries
Read Online or Download Household and Family Religion in Antiquity PDF
Best Ancient books
The Unabridged Crawley Translation, creation by means of Terry Wick
A heritage of Celtic tradition in Britain from its origins to its transformation less than the Romans and Saxons. The ebook describes the increase and unfold of the Celts and their arrival within the British Isles round the eighth century BC. Chapters are dedicated to literature and artwork, associations and faith, and punctuate the old narrative, offering insights into the Celtic lifestyle.
Throughout the first millennium BCE, advanced encounters of Phoenician and Greek colonists with natives of the Iberian Peninsula remodeled the quarter and stimulated the complete heritage of the Mediterranean. one of many first books on those encounters to seem in English, this quantity brings jointly a multinational workforce of members to discover old Iberia’s colonies and indigenous societies, in addition to the comparative learn of colonialism.
On the grounds that precedent days, technological advances have elevated man's probabilities for survival. From the practicality of a Roman aqueduct to the artwork of the written notice, guy has consistently tailored his atmosphere to fulfill his wishes, and to supply himself with sustenance, convenience, convenience, relaxation, a better caliber of dwelling, and a thriving tradition.
Extra info for Household and Family Religion in Antiquity